The fuel cost is getting high gradually year by year globally and almost everyone are concerned about improving their vehicle’s fuel efficiency. There are plenty of techniques and habits which can be incorporate into your everyday driving that will have a positive impact on your vehicle's fuel consumption. Try some of these tips and you will be surprised by its impact.
In the new generation vehicles, the engine operations are controlled by electronic control units (Engine Electronic Control unit). The air fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1 in gasoline engines) is constantly maintained by ECU by altering fuel supply in the form of short term or long term fuel trims. Since this operation is voluntarily managed by computers, tuning of engines is not at all relevant like we did decades ago with carbureted engines. Still the con artists pretends to be the experts and takes away your money saying that the tuning has been performed in your engine for excess fuel consumption complaints.
Now follow these simple steps that will help you to reduce the fuel consumption of your vehicle to a great extent.
1. Checking tire air pressure periodically is a key factor to sustain your fuel efficiency. A slight reduction of 5 to 10 pounds per square inch of pressure in a tire can reduce your fuel efficiency up to 3-5%. Weekly checking the tire pressure is the key to eliminate this way of additional fuel consumption.
2. Another way to have a good fuel economy is to have tires which are higher in fuel economy rating. For example, in Europe the rating of tires starts from A to G. It is always better to use higher rated tires to be used in your vehicle to produce better results in terms of fuel consumption.
3. Air filters of engine play a big role in maintaining your vehicles fuel economy. Unclean or blocked air filters reduces vehicle fuel efficiency considerably. Always make sure that your vehicle is having a clean engine air filter to ensure smooth air flow to your engines.
4. Anticipatory driving competence is another way of reducing fuel consumption in a big way. Simply anticipating what is likely to happen in front of you when driving will greatly improve your efficiency as well as reduce wear and tear on your car's brakes. While maintaining your focus on the vehicle directly in front of you, take the time to look further ahead to see what's going on ahead. If you are approaching a red light, try reduce the speed of vehicle well ahead by simply releasing the accelerator pedal than what you normally do, using the brakes in a little later stage. If the lights changes back to green, you'll still be moving and you'll spend less time getting up to speed, using less fuel in the process.
5. Adopting one of the defensive driving method, accelerating and decelerating the vehicle in a smoother manner will help you to maintain the fuel efficiency to a golden standard. While approaching a road hump traffic stops etc., reduce and increase the speeds gently will consume way less fuel than doing it abruptly. Lot of kinetic energy will be lost in the form of heat energy in the process of using the brakes so quickly. Mindful driving in a gentle way will go easy on your pockets too!
6. Proper periodical preventive maintenance of your vehicle also helps in maintaining the fuel. Even engine oils play a role in improving the fuel economy. There will be a 4% to 5% change in fuel economy if you use 15 w 40 oil, instead of 5 w 30 oil (as recommended by the manufacturer). Also, changing the engine oil at proper intervals helps in improving the fuel economy.
7. Ensure proper wheel alignment or tracking of the vehicle periodically. If wheel parameters like toe-in or toe-out & camber is improperly set or altered this effects the drag of moving vehicle which leaves a huge impact on the fuel economy. It is very essential to keep vehicles wheel alignment parameters properly for an effective fuel economy.
8. Another factor affecting fuel economy is having excess weight kept in truck in the form of heavy luggage. Unless it is very essential, keep off the unnecessary items out of your vehicles luggage compartment.
9. Using the A/C and heater in an optimum manner is a great way to achieve better fuel economy. Anything that working on a vehicle longer which uses engine power or drains battery is creating a toll on fuel economy. For example, if A/C compressor works for a longer period due to a partially opened window while driving also consumes extra fuel.
10. Switching the vehicle off while idling for a longer time or activating stop/start function if available is a great way of retrieving fuel economy.
Even after trying all these steps, if you still feel that your vehicle is consuming too much of fuel, don’t hesitate to bring your vehicle for a periodic services with us. You can also call us at 054 996 8446 (Abu Dhabi) & 054 996 8419 (Dubai) for more help.